The RENEW Program is not inviting new applications at this time.
December 2017: The Kenneth Rainin Foundation is undergoing a strategic planning process. As we take this moment to plan, we will not be inviting new applications to the RENEW Program in 2018.
Program Description & Guidelines
Launched in spring 2015, the RENEW Program is by invitation only and provides multi-year support to ongoing programs which support multiple artists such as festivals, residencies, new play development programs and space-sharing initiatives. Organizations invited to the RENEW Program exhibit a strong passion for and commitment to the San Francisco Bay Area performing arts community.
The goals of the program are to:
- Strengthen small and mid-size dance, theater and multidisciplinary organizations
- Provide vital, sustained support for the development phase of the artistic process
- Promote exchange among artists and collaborators for the purpose of advancing and realizing new work
- Strengthen the Bay Area performing arts ecosystem overall.
The RENEW Program is by invitation only. Typically, proposals are invited for programs that have previously received support through the NEW Program, formerly the Visibility Awards.
- Organizations may submit applications for either the Foundation’s RENEW Program (by invitation), NEW Program or the Foundation’s Impact Program. Applications will not be accepted from a single organization for more than one grant program within the same grant cycle.
- Special Note: If you are a current RENEW grantee and are interested in applying to the NEW or Impact Grant Program, please contact Program Staff to discuss your organization’s eligibility.
- Program Staff will notify organizations directly if they are invited to submit an application. There is no Letter of Inquiry (LOI) required for this program.
- For additional information on deadlines as well as the grant period, please see the Awards Schedule.
- Grants are program-based only. Funds may not be used for general operating expenses.
- Grant amounts are $75,000 over three years with $25,000 disbursed each year.
- All applicants invited to submit a proposal, including fiscally sponsored organizations, will need to include a California Cultural Data Project report for consideration. When generating a funder report, select the report appropriate to the grant program area to which you are applying (i.e. RENEW Program).
- Please review our FAQ page before starting the application process.
Please direct questions to Arts Program Staff.