Program Description & Guidelines
Our Innovator Awards Program for Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) research provides $100,000 grants for a one-year proof of principle research project. Letters of Inquiry (LOIs) are accepted online January 15 – February 15, annually.
Special Request for LOIs for Diet and Nutrition: The Foundation is offering a special Innovator Award in 2015 for project(s) that will investigate the impact of diet and nutrition on IBD in humans. This grant offers up to $100,000 for a one-year project. The LOI submission and selection process is the same as the Innovator Awards process.
The Foundation supports research projects that are potentially transformative to diagnosing, treating and curing Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). The Program is open to tenure track professors (or the equivalent) at all levels from any scientific discipline and from any non-profit research institution worldwide. Interdisciplinary collaboration is strongly encouraged.
Funding criteria include:
- Scientific merit
- Strong evidence of collaboration
- Investigator capability to execute project
We fund projects that may not be eligible for funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) or other more traditional sources due to their innovative nature.
The Foundation funds organizations that are exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS code and are classified as “not a private foundation” under Section 509(a). The Foundation may upon occasion make grants to government and public agencies, as well as to independent projects that have a qualified tax-exempt fiscal sponsor.
The Foundation does not fund:
- Direct assistance to individuals or individual sponsorships
- Start-up organizations
- Sports, athletic events or league sponsorships
- Advertising or promotional sponsorships
- Deficits or retroactive funding
- Fraternal organizations
- Organizations that discriminate based on religion, race, sexual orientation or gender
Applying for an Innovator Award is a two-step process.
1) All applicants must submit a Letter of Inquiry (LOI). LOIs are accepted online January 15 – February 15, annually. The one page online application includes the basic idea and the central experiment. The LOI template and questions are not available outside of the LOI timeframe. A NIH formatted bio-sketch is also required.
2) The Foundation’s Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) will determine which applicants will be invited to submit a full proposal. Applicant selection will primarily be based on the project’s alignment with the Foundation’s Innovator Awards Program criteria. Invited applicants will be notified on April 15th. Full online applications, which will consist of an expanded LOI and a one-page budget, will be due May 15th. Applications are initially reviewed by our SAB. Based on the SAB’s recommendations, final selections will be made by the Foundation’s Board in July and announced in August of each program year.