The mission of the Kenneth Rainin Foundation is to enhance quality of life by championing the arts, promoting early childhood literacy, and supporting research to cure chronic disease. Collaboration and innovation are at the heart of all our programs. Our work is guided by our commitment to change through inquiry, creativity and compassion.
The Kenneth Rainin Foundation envisions a world where all Oakland children read at or above grade level, no one suffers from Inflammatory Bowel Disease, and the Bay Area arts community is robust and sustainable.
Through our grantmaking and operations, the Kenneth Rainin Foundation embraces the following values:
- Collaboration: Believing that synergistic connections will strengthen the work of the Foundation and the impact we have on society.
- Leveraging of all assets: Providing grantees and partners with resources, ideas and challenges so they may thrive.
- Innovation: Rewarding creative and risk-taking thinking and individuals.
- Responsibility: Considering the social and environmental implications of our practices and those of our partners.
- Equity: Approaching all dealings with honesty and fairness.
Inherent in our core values is a belief in compassion, respect, humor and joy.
Our Breakthrough Moments video series showcases the groundbreaking work of Rainin Foundation grantees.