The Kenneth Rainin Foundation is leading the funding and implementation of SEEDS of Learning in Oakland. This relationship-based professional development program provides educators, parents and caregivers with strategies to build social, emotional, language and literacy skills in young children, so they are ready to succeed in kindergarten. Three in five Oakland students enter kindergarten without these skills, so the need for a strong and comprehensive support program is clear.
Investing in the Adults Who Interact with Children Every Day
The chart below shows the percentage of children in our 2016-17 SEEDS classrooms who progressed to be near, at, or above targets for key skills that are predictive of school readiness.
Oakland Children Flourish in SEEDS Classrooms
Supporting Teachers and Accelerating Progress
The Rainin Foundation will not be satisfied until every Oakland child enters kindergarten with the skills and enthusiasm to learn, and is successfully reading by third grade—one of the most important predictors of high school graduation and life success. In the 2017-18 school year, SEEDS of Learning will continue to more pre-kindergarten, transitional kindergarten and kindergarten educators.
- SEEDS coaches support teachers and tutors to provide the highest quality interactions with children, create the environments needed to learn, deliver curricula to develop language and literacy skills, and collect, analyze and act on data.
- Tutors support teachers with daily classroom routines and give supplemental instruction to children.
- Parents and caregivers get tips and materials on how to guide their children’s learning in fun and meaningful ways.
Explore SEEDS of Learning
Thank You to our SEEDS of Learning Partners
We’ve achieved incredibly promising results for children because of a committed group of partners. These partners are embracing SEEDS of Learning and helping us to unlock potential in Oakland’s youngest learners:
- Aspire Public Schools
- Berkeley Maynard Academy
- College Academy
- Eres Academy
- Monarch Academy
- Triumph Technology Academy
- City of Oakland Head Start
- Community School for Creative Education
- Education for Change Public Schools
- Achieve Academy
- Cox Academy
- Lazear Charter Academy
- Learning Without Limits
- Lighthouse Community Charter School
- Oakland Unified School District
- Allendale Elementary School
- Bridges Academy
- East Oakland Pride Elementary School
- Encompass Academy
- Esperanza Elementary School
- Oakland Unified School District (continued)
- Franklin Elementary School
- Fred T. Korematsu Discovery Academy
- Garfield Elementary School
- Glenview Elementary School
- Greenleaf Elementary School
- Horace Mann Elementary School
- La Escuelita Elementary School
- Lincoln Elementary School
- Manzanita Community School
- Mazanita Seed
- New Highland Academy
- Parker Elementary School
- Place @ Prescott
- Reach Academy
- Rise Community School
- Sankofa Academy
- St. Mary’s Preschool
- Urban Montessori
- Vincent Academy
- YMCA 21st Street
The SEEDS of Learning model is based on current research in early childhood education, child development, emergent literacy and effective teaching. Developed by Kate Horst, this program is at work in seven states with over 11,000 children. Learn more on the SEEDS of Learning website.