The Kenneth Rainin Foundation’s Education grants are by invitation only.
Our Education grantmaking is focused on solutions that ensure Oakland children are ready for kindergarten and on track for third grade reading success. Funding supports:
- Educators and families to effectively scaffold literacy development
- Organizations to increase the alignment and impact of collaborative initiatives
- Children to develop fluent language and literacy skills
We occasionally also support timely opportunities that complement our Education grantmaking strategies and support conditions for literacy. Although grant applications are invitation-only, read how you can submit timely project inquiries to our Education Program Staff in the Eligibility section below.
Education Grantmaking Approach
Grantmaking Rooted In Research
The Rainin Foundation is committed to supporting organizations that help children progress in literacy development through positive relationships. We know from extensive research that there are specific skills children need to be successful in kindergarten, including:
- Oral Language
- Vocabulary and Meaning
- Phonological Awareness
- Book and Print Concepts
- Alphabet Knowledge
- Motivation, persistence, confidence and curiosity
And by third grade, children are successful when they progress towards the specific reading skills identified by the National Reading Panel:
- Comprehension of grade-level texts
- Fluent decoding
- Comprehension of oral language
Education grants are by invitation only. If you think your organization’s work might be a fit, please email Education Program Staff. We value hearing from potential partners who share our dream of every child reaching their language and literacy potential.
- Grants are awarded to nonprofit organizations or to 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsors
- All fiscal sponsorships require a written agreement
- Organizations must provide services for Oakland children. While an organization can operate and provide services outside of Oakland, our funding can only go towards its Oakland-based programming
- We prioritize education partners who are committed to measurable results using evidence-based “active ingredients.”
The Foundation does not fund:
- Initiatives or programs designed for ages 9+
- Direct assistance to individuals or individual sponsorship
- Capital campaign requests
- Sports, athletic events or league sponsorship
- Advertising or promotional sponsorship
- Fraternal organizations
- Organizations that discriminate based on religion, race, sexual orientation or gender
- Education grant applications are available by invitation only.
- We do not have an LOI process. We welcome inquiries or requests for exploratory conversations by email to our Education Program Staff.
- We typically extend invitations for spring (early May) and winter (early November) grant cycles. Winter invitations are subject to funding availability.
Education News & Stories
08/22/2023 | Education
The Kenneth Rainin Foundation awarded over $3.7 million in Education grants to advance equitable literacy solutions in Oakland.
03/15/2023 | Education
FULCRUM and Ignite! Reading are showing the power of what’s possible when Oakland children get equitable access to evidence-based learning and supports.